Saturday, January 15, 2011

Multiple projects

I did something this week that I never do.  I started working on multiple knitting projects at the same time.  Usually I like to stay focused and committed on one project at a time.  I also consider myself pretty good at this and rarely stray from my projects.  But for some reason the socks I'm working on became a tad boring after I mastered the pattern.  I had an itch to work on something else and I justified starting a new project if it were smaller than the socks.  What came next was a failed attempt at an iphone case.  Then inspiration struck in the form of a macbook sleeve.  This would be an easy distraction with instant satisfaction because of the aran weight yarn I'd be using.  A couple of days later I was here:


A simple cable pattern that will hold the macbook nicely, fingers crossed.  The yarn is Briggs & Little Heritage in fawn.  This is yarn that means a lot to me.  It's made in Harvey, New Brunswick about an hour away from where I grew up.  They've been making yarn in the same spot with New Brunswick sheep for over 150 years now.  As you might have guessed, this makes it Canada's oldest yarn mill.  This has always been a point of pride for me as a New Brunswicker.  My grandmother used this yarn and so do I.  I like that.  Of course I haven't found any out here in Victoria but that could have something to do with being at opposite ends of the country.  I knit a bit longer and pressed my work to see where I was and now it looks like this:


It's at about 16" so far and I'm happy with it.  Pressing it helped a lot to see where I was and how much I had left to do.  Did I mention this is a pattern I wrote?  Fancy I  know.  This will be my first.  Maybe I'll write it properly in a PDF when I'm done and post it on Ravelry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment