Friday, January 7, 2011

Christmas Socks

Every Christmas my goal is to knit a pair of socks for everyone I love.  This plan fails miserably every time.  This year I only succeeded in knitting one pair of socks for my lovely mumma.  I began in September and promptly finished on December 27th.  Did I say promptly?  I meant disgustingly slow.  I do have the excuse of being a grad student with many books and journal articles to read, but I choose to use this excuse sparingly.  Mumma's socks came with me to Cuba where I knit on a beach for the first time.  They also came home to NB with me.  That's an impressive amount of mileage for a pair of socks.
In fact, these socks should have their own passport.  I imagine the passport picture would look something like this.  


Or this,


I must say I'm happy with how they turned out.  I wanted a simple and clean pattern that would show off the yarn.  I'm in love with the yarn.  It's Fleece Artist Nyoni and I love it even more because I got it almost half off.  I believe the Nyoni sock yarn has since been discontinued, but they have others just as beautiful.  The pattern is Harris Tweed Socks, which looks like a cross between a broken ribbed and basket weave pattern.  The ribbed element means they're very good at staying up, something very important for winter boots or bed socks.  There's also a hint of silk in the yarn which means that have that lovely smooth feeling.  Sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment