Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What a square

A good friend of mine is expecting a baby July.  She is my hubby's best friend and was even the best "man" at our wedding.  So this means a baby blanket is in order.  I love baby blankets.  They have a warmth to them that I love.  Instead of doing a one piece blanket, I wanted to try something with more of a quilt feel.  So I set off making tiny 4 x 4 squares.  I want the blanket to be big enough to fit inside the crib but not too huge.  I figure it should be 8 squares long and 7 squares wide.  In other words, 32" x 28".  I also wanted it to have a patchwork feel so I'm using many different colours.  


I'm using odd balls that I have around the house to do this project which means it's gonna be completely wool because that's all I knit with.  I know it should be acrylic so when it gets pukey it can just go in the washer but I hate acrylic yarn.  


By my math I need to make 56 squares to reach the right measurements.  That's a lot of squares.  I've done 13 so far.  So that's 43 left.  Yikes.  But I do have awhile to finish.  Plus there's something satisfying about doing the squares.  It doesn't take long to finish a square so there's a pretty good level of satisfaction.  We'll see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment